Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Stick to baseball questions ONLY

I was in the men’s room reading the latest ESPN magazine today, and I have to say, professional athletes are some of the dumbest, most boring people on the planet.

Case in point: ESPN’s “Icebreaker” article. Basically a quarter-page Q & A with a pro athlete. Here it is verbatim. I’ve also added some comments the interviewer was thinking at the time, in parentheses. How do I know what the interviewer was thinking? Just trust me on this one.


ICEBREAKER

Brett Myers, Pitcher, Phillies


I pitch baseball! Yay!

LAST MOVIE YOU SAW I can’t even tell you, it’s been so long. When you have a 2-year-old at home, it’s kind of tough to get out.

(Hey Brett, Just come up with something, okay? You’re being interviewed for a major national publication. It doesn’t matter what it was, as long as it wasn’t Garden State. That movie sucked. And if your miniscule brain would’ve understood the question correctly, I wasn’t asking what was the last movie you saw IN THEATERS, rather simply what was the last movie you saw PERIOD. So, if what you say is true, that “it’s kind of tough to get out,” I imagine you’re watching a lot of movies on DVD or VHS or HBO or something, right? So what the f**k was it Brett? What was the last movie you saw? This isn’t rocket science! In fact I’ll take Rocket Science as an answer, and I don’t even know if that’s a real movie or not.)

ELMO OR BARNEY Elmo. Not Barney. I hate Barney, can’t even watch him. Elmo on Sesame Street, that I’ll watch.

(Okay, an answer. Good Brett. Good boy. Here’s a Milk Bone. Note to self: Brett is better at multiple choice questions than open-ended ones. Scratch that. He’s good at either/or questions. I’m not sure that I want to introduce multiple choices. If I do, I could have a major breakdown on my hands. Also note questions dealing with children television programming may be an area I want to come back to if things get too complicated.)

SUPERHERO YOU WOULD BE Probably the Incredible Hulk, just because he’s a monster. He’s strong and can do everything. Just to be ripped like that. And I grew up watching it everyday on TV. Plus, if anyone pissed me off in the clubhouse, I could rip out of my shirt.

(I really sensed I should stick with the cartoon questions and I was right. An actual answer. Picking up quite a few homo-erotic overtones in his answer: wanting to be ripped and wanting to rip out of his shirt in front of a group of men. Also it’s evident that his teammates are making fun of him in the clubhouse, perhaps because he has a small package?)

FIRST JOB I’ve only had one. When I was 15, I worked in a car wash. The manual-labor stuff was not good. Bending over a car from 7 in the morning until 5 in the afternoon? That’s not fun.

(You’ve had only ONE FIRST JOB? No f**king way! Hey Brett, I’ve had like 74 first jobs! Motherf**ker this guy’s a tool! And again, note more homo-erotic tendencies: bending over a car from 7 to 5. I have a hunch that bending over was not the un-fun part of that job for Brett.)

FIRST GIRLFRIEND I have no idea when it was. What’s a good age to say? I want to seem cool. I was 2. Yeah, that’s it. I saw her swinging on the monkey bars at preschool and made my move! Well, not really.

(Again, this knob has no sense of time. Ever heard of a watch or a calendar or f**king birthdays Captain Lightbulb? Even Tom Forrest-Freaking-Gump Hanks was able to check off the days with feces on the side of a slab of rock to tell how long he’d been in that dammed FedEx commercial of a movie Castaway. And there’s NO WAY you were in preschool at age 2 Copernicus. Jeez, at least get your preschool age correct. I mean you say you have a 2-year-old at home, so is that Baby Einstein in preschool yet? And you have to make pretend for your first girlfriend? Are you kidding me? Was life that much of a whirlwind for you man? Did you not know that coming here today we were going to ask you some bullsh*t questions about your life? Maybe you should’ve called your mom before you got into the limo to come over here, or were you too busy bending over it?)



Man that interviewer is a real jerk, huh?

6 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Blogger Veruca Salt said...

Ha.

Copernicus.

I absolutely adore the fact that you leave no pop culture reference unturned.

 
At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, gotta call you out on this one man. I didn't ask for the blog, you gave me the blog.

A tribute to Johnny Cochran

Exhibit A: YOU
Exhibit B: Obviously you have to be sitting down to read.
Exhibit C: pants around the ankles
Exhibit D: homoerotic thoughts going through your head

I rest my case!
—Fishcakes

btw, I'm only up $250 now

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fact that we even give a crap about who baseball players/actors (fill in the blank with people who have very little affect on the well being of the world, yet get a teacher's yearly salary in 4 hours) what movies they've seen. Elmo or...whoever else? Ahh!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

Fishcakes, you got me!

If the glove fits, you must acquit.

I wish Brett Myers would take me right here, right now.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger jb said...

I'm telling you, questions like that are the result of the entrenched femininization of all things. Is Queen of Pink joking? We've all had our nards cut off, and Bret Michaels, or whatever his name is, is just the sympton. Barney or Elmo? Come on! Who cares about the Andy Griffith show?

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

Andy Griffith! Ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home