Thursday, March 24, 2005

The Last Starfigher, 21 years later

So I watched The Last Starfighter last night on HBO Family. I had never seen it before, so the nostalgia factor was low. Although the 80s-ness of it made me a little nostalgic.

OK, I am all for suspending belief when I go into a movie. Going into this one, I was even giving it a lot more leeway than I would most movies. I wanted to like The Last Starfighter.


Here are the things I DID go along with:

A video game was actually created by an alien to test humans on their starfighting prowess.

When you’re about to break a high score on a video game in a trailer park everyone stops what they’re doing to watch.

If you’re good enough at said video game, the aliens will come down and ask you to save their galaxy.

When the aliens come down to Earth to take you away to their galaxy, they will be driving a Ford station wagon with green taillights and DeLorean doors.

The alien will then drive 300 MPH on a windy highway for no apparent reason, since they are not headed to Little Rock, but rather a freaking SPACE STATION A GALAXY AWAY.

The aliens will replace you on Earth with a robot that looks and acts just like you, because these aliens are caring enough not to want your family and friends to worry about your sudden disappearance.

All an alien has to do to look like a human is wipe a soiled bandana on his face, and VIOLA!

When you shoot an alien once, it flops around on the ground. When you shoot it a second time, it explodes in an enormous ball of flames.

The being who wants to rule outer space isn’t some other-worldly being, it’s some bitchy British guy with a big forehead.

When you return to Earth in your spaceship with your alien buddy, no one in your trailer park will question its reality, I'm assuming because they’re all high on crystal meth.


But the one thing I could NOT believe was:

After you beat a high score on a video game a hot chick will kiss you.

THAT WOULD NEVER, EVER, EVER HAPPEN.

So unbelievable.

4 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger bob hyatt said...

ha! good one...

but you know, there are geek chicks, too... of course, they rarely look like those other chicks...


anyway- It was a sad day when I realized that Knight Rider was a KID'S SHOW. It took me a couple of years to get there, but the feeling was strangely similar to realizing Santa is not real.

I still have a David Hasslehoff air freshener I got in Germany hanging from my rear view. Because, after all, everyone knows... Germans LOVE David Hasslehoff.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

David Hasslehoff air freshener? That is so awesome. I'm jealous. I bet you could get a pretty penny for that on ebay.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That air freshener is hid inside the visor above bob's seat, and it falls out whenever he uses the visor! Ha! It's so awesome to have david just pop out of nowhere like that.

Cos, what about flight of the navigator?

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

I taped Flight of the Navigator off TV when I was like 11 years old and watched it over and over. I loved that movie. I haven't seen it in probably 15 years, but I remember it pretty well. That was way better than The Last Starfighter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home